No one wants to be stranded along one of our Greenville roads with a dead battery. That’s why it’s important to know how to jump-start a car. Our Service Department wants to help keep you safe. So, read our easy-to-follow guide below.
How to Jump-Start a Car – 9 Steps
A lot of Royse City drivers think they know how to jump-start a car. But did you know there is a proper way to do it? You don’t want to cause an electrical short or shock, so follow these steps below:
- Park the working vehicle close enough to the disabled vehicle so that the jumper cables can comfortably reach from one batter to another.
- Turn both vehicles off.
- Clamp one end of the red cable to the positive (+) post on the dead battery, then connect the other end to the positive post on the good battery.
- Connect one end of the black cable to the negative post (-) of the good battery.
- The other end of the black cable should be attached to the metal frame of the car.
- Start the engine of the working car and let it run a minute or two before trying to start the other car.
- If the other car doesn’t start, let it charge for a little longer.
- Once the car has started, remove the clamps, starting with the black cable, then the red.
- Allow the jump-started vehicle to run for a few minutes and take it for a short drive, which will allow for the alternator to further charge the battery.
What If Your Car Still Won’t Start?
If you’ve tried jump-starting your car and it still won’t start, one of the following things might be the case:
- The jumper cables may be loose. Make sure they are well-connected.
- The posts or terminals may be corroded. Clean them thoroughly.
- The starter may be broken. If this is the case, you should hear a clicking noise.
- The battery may have reached the end of its life.
Trust the Service Experts at Greenville Hyundai
If you found this guide on how to jump-start a car to be helpful, make sure to keep checking our service tips page for other handy guides. And if you need any assistance with your car’s service needs, our team is here to help. We may be just a short drive away from both Commerce and Rockwall, but you can also schedule service online!